The Bishop's Parlour

The Bishop's Parlour forms part of the north wing of the school which was built in 1871. It is called the Bishop's Parlour because the first Archbishop of Melbourne, Archbishop Goold and subsequent bishops, used the parlour when staying in Geelong, or when staying overnight on the way to Colac or other regions of the western district.

There are portraits/photographs of all the Archbishops of Melbourne, right up to the present day. Over the fireplace is a portrait of Mother Xavier Maguire, foundress of Sacred Heart, painted by Kate Streeter c1872.

The bookcase contains antique silverware, some with provenance to Geelong's early priests. There are a number of old bound volumes of the Penny Encyclopedia and some Latin texts. On the mantlepiece there is an alabaster statue of the Archangel Gabriel.

Contact us